Assumption of the Risk and Waiver of Liability Relating to Coronavirus/COVID-19
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person contact. As a result, federal, provincial and local governments and federal and provincial health agencies recommend social distancing and have, in many locations, prohibited the congregation of larger groups of people. The Oshawa Cycling Club (OCC) is following the Ontario Provincial recommendations allowing up to 10 cyclists to ride as a group, provided proper distancing of 2 meters takes place. All members acknowledge that they will do their best to maintain this 2-meter spacing as well as possible, but understand the difficulty of doing it throughout the ride and in no way hold other club members responsible.
The OCC has put into place, as well as possible during group rides, preventative measures to help reduce the spread of COVID-19; however, the OCC cannot guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19. Further, attending club rides could increase your risk of contracting COVID-19. Club Members, by signing this waiver acknowledge that they have read “OCC’s Response to COVID-19” on the OCC website and agree that they will to the best of their ability follow these rules.
Our Member's safety is very important to us. We realize this situation is evolving, we have reached out to Durham region’s health department for recommendations how to proceed with group cycling.
See the following public health recommendations for OCC created my our member, Toni Moran, Senior Public Health Inspector, Durham Regional Health Department.
1) Stay at home and do not ride or attend club events if you feel unwell even if symptoms seem mild - symptoms related to COVID19 can be:
2) Avoid all physical contact before during and after rides and maintain a 2 metre distance from other riders - no handshakes or hugs
3) Practice good respiratory etiquette and cough or sneeze into your elbow well away from other riders
4) Refrain from spitting and/or blowing your nose while riding if possible. If you must clear your nose or throat fall well back behind all other riders to do so. Wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer as soon as possible after.
5) Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
6) Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 15 seconds after riding, before eating, and after using the bathroom. If there is no hand wash basin available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing 70% alcohol and use enough to allow hands to remain wet for 15 seconds. Consider carrying a small container of hand sanitizer in your jersey pocket or bike bag on all rides.
7) Launder riding gloves between each ride along with jerseys, shorts, riding sleeves, skull caps, etc.
8) Wash, rinse and sanitize water bottles after each ride - sanitize using a mild bleach solution containing 1/2 teaspoon regular household bleach in 1 litre of water
9) Spray handlebars between rides with a disinfectant spray - e.g. lysol
By signing this agreement, I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by participating in a Club ride and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at a Club ride may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, Club Directors, Ride Leaders, Volunteers and other Ride participants.
I voluntarily agree to assume all of the risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to myself (including, but not limited to personal injury, disability and death). On my behalf, I hereby release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and hold harmless the OCC, its directors and other members of the OCC, including all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto. I understand and agree that this release includes any claims based on the actions, omissions, or negligence of the Club, its directors or other members, whether a COVID-19 infection occurs before, during or after participation in any Club ride or event.
Oshawa Cycling Club
Last updated: June 17, 2020 11:30am